The answer to this incautious question – "Who is it?" – was a bullet to the heart.
That bullet — fired by Lincoln County Sheriff Patrick F. Garrett from a .40-44 caliber single action Colt pistol — ended the life of Billy the Kid, real name William Henry McCarty.
But death – ordinarily so final – only fueled the public's fascination with Billy the Kid.
- What events led to Billy's killing? Was it inevitable? Was a woman involved? If so, who was she?
- Why has Billy's gravestone become the most famous – and most visited – Western death marker? Is Billy really buried in his grave? Is the grave in the right location?
- Is it true that Pat Garrett's first wife is buried in the same cemetery? Is Billy's girlfriend buried there also?
- The Fort Sumner cemetery where Billy's grave is located was once plowed for cultivation. Why?
- What town, seeking a profitable tourist attraction, tried to move Billy's body, using a phony relative to justify the action?
These questions — and many others – are answered in this book.
Over 60 photos, including many historical photos never previously published.